Monday, December 3, 2012

South of Broad

I received South of Broad by Pat Conroy as a gift from Dr. Terry Papillon, Virginia Tech's director of University Honors. He has a yearly tradition of giving the Honors staff a book at the holiday party each year. Apparently, Conroy is one of Terry's favorite authors and this is one of his favorite books. Somehow, it took me nearly a year to read. I kept buying other books and putting it lower on the queue.

However, I am really glad I finally read the book. It is a great piece of Southern literature. Set in Charleston, South Carolina, the book is set over the course of two decades. The story follow protagonist Leo King, his slightly dysfunctional family, and his very close friends. It follows the group through many trials and tribulations. It is simultaneously funny and achingly sad. The lives of these individuals are hauntingly broken, and consequently there is something very authentic about the novel. I rather enjoyed it. One of the quotes from the book that I found to be rather poignant is, "Growing up is odd, no matter where you do it

For anyone interested in a story that will make you laugh, cry, and consider the human condition, this is a novel for you. It also captures the spirit of living in the South.

South of Broad

No comments:

Post a Comment