Friday, November 16, 2012

Favorite Father Brown Stories

I picked up a copy of Favorite Father Brown Stories by G. K. Chesterton from a discount bin at Barnes & Noble. The back of the book indicated that Chesterton liked to probe topics of Christian theology through his writing, especially through the stories involving his priest/detective, Father Brown. It seemed like an intriguing combination and worth the cost of two dollars.

The stories proved to be fairly entertaining. I enjoyed the twist of having a Catholic priest solving mysteries in early 19th century England. As a fan of Victorian era crime fiction, I thought this would be intriguing. The stories were fairly interesting. The mystery did not always present themselves early in the story and Brown's methods were not always the most clear, but that added to the fun. The resolution often occurred in the concluding paragraph of the story. I can't say I favored these stories as much as I do the Sherlock Holmes canon, but I enjoyed them nonetheless.

Favorite Father Brown Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment