Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Red Tent

I read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant at the suggestion of my friend, Hannah. I suggested that she read The Alchemist, one of my favorite books, and she reciprocated by suggesting I read one of her favorite books. I put it off for a couple of weeks, as I was reading a few other things in my queue. However, in the last week of the semester, I picked it up to give it a read.

The Red Tent focuses on the (minor) biblical character Dinah, Jacob's only daughter. While Dinah is the daughter of a rather important patriarch in the Bible, her famous father and brothers have relatively minor roles in the book. The story focuses mostly on the women in the family- Dinah, her mother Leah, and her three aunts. It's a book focuses on women's narratives, in a world that is mostly patriarchal.

Diamant does a great job of recreating the world of shepherds, tribes, traders, and caravans. It is an interesting narrative about a character about whom I knew very little. I enjoyed the story, especially as it focused on one of my favorite areas of the world, the Middle East.

The Red Tent

No comments:

Post a Comment