Thursday, March 7, 2013

Rediscover Catholicism: A Spiritual Guide to Living with Passion & Purpose

I received the  Rediscover Catholicism: A Spiritual Guide to Living with Passion & Purpose by Matthew Kelly from the pastor of my parents' church and my home parish. I received it sometime over a year ago. While I was somewhat curious to see what was included in the book, it never really made it to the top of my queue of books to read. However, with the arrival of Lent and the resignation of the Pope, it seemed like an appropriate time to start reading the book.

I will admit, it took a while for the book to engage me. The first couple of chapters used some good metaphors to explain the need for a deeper exploration of religion in the modern era. However, the beginning of the book sounded rather like a self-help book. I don't necessarily have anything against self-help books, but they often seem to be too simple and a bit pedantic.

However, Chapter 8 started to interest me. Kelly explores the lives of five Catholics he believes are worthy of emulation. Following that, the author really caught my attention in Chapter 12 when he begins to explain what he refers to as the seven pillars of the Catholic faith: confession, daily prayer, the mass, the Bible, fasting, spiritual reading, and the Rosary. These prove to be rather interesting chapters focused on some of the core sacraments and practices of Catholicism.

Throughout the book, Kelly provides a fair share of self-disclosure about his own understanding of the faith and his personal journey. While not all of the book resonated with me, the sections I have just mentioned proved to be thought-provoking and prompted some reflection. This is certainly a useful book for Catholics who are seeking ways to engage more actively with their faith.

Rediscover Catholicism: A Spiritual Guide to Living with Passion & Purpose

No comments:

Post a Comment