Monday, March 11, 2013

Conclave: The Politics, Personalities, and Process of the Next Papal Election

I ordered Conclave: The Politics, Personalities, and Process of the Next Papal Election by John L. Allen, Jr. after Pope Benedict XVI made his announcement to step down from the papacy last month. In fact, it was a month ago today that the announcement was made. I have long been fascinated with the process by which Popes are elected. It has also seemed to be a secret and somewhat romanticized process to me. Admittedly, most of my most recent knowledge regarding conclave comes from the opening scenes of Dan Brown's novel Angels & Demons. Upon realizing this, I decided I wanted some more accurate information regarding the process, especially given how important this next election may be for the Roman Catholic Church. Those who have been around me recently are likely aware of how excited I am for this particular election.

I rather enjoyed the book, as Allen provides some clear information about the process. He starts off by providing information about the role of the Pope and describing what the position is actually responsible for, both inside and outside of the church. Allen then details the various issues about which the voting cardinals will be concerned when considering who to elect into the Papacy. Next, the author describes the actual process of conclave, starting with the announcement of the Pope being ill. Clearly this book was written prior to our present situation, so the author does not discuss the process for when a Pope resigns. Next, the book describes the various political parties within the college of cardinals and the affiliations along with they vote. Finally, the author describes the likely candidates for the Papacy; however, the book was written about a decade ago, so it is currently out of date. However, interestingly, the author did not pick Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (Pope Benedict XVI) as a likely candidate.

Overall, it was a very interesting read. I enjoyed learning about the process of the Papal election and I look forward to watching the new media report on Conclave over the next week. I believe that as a result of reading this book, I will better understand the process as it unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment