Friday, February 22, 2013

History of the Blues: The Roots, The Music, The People from Charley Patton to Robert Cray

This marks the second or third time I have read The History of the Blues: The Roots, The Music, The People from Robert Johnson to Robert Cray by Francis Davis, having used it to teach class last year. I am again using the book as a textbook for the Honors Colloquium I am teaching this semester, title Black, White, and Blue: Race Relations in the US through the Blues.

Davis provides a survey of the Blues, starting from the Mississippi Delta and the migration to Chicago and beyond. He places heavy importance on figures such as Charley Patton, Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, Son House, Muddy Waters, and Howlin' Wolf. Davis also does a great job of providing brief descriptions of the social context surrounding the Blues milestones on which he is focusing. Davis also provides insight into his own thoughts and theories surrounding important events. While not intended to focus on race relations, given the history of the Blues one cannot help but think about the topic.

Overall, I enjoy the book. I gain new interests and insights each time I read. This time, I found myself running to my computer and the iTunes store to listen to song he was referencing in the text, especially those that might be useful in illustrating certain points to my students.

The History of the Blues: The Roots, The Music, The People from Charley Patton to Robert Cray

No comments:

Post a Comment