Friday, July 6, 2012

Tigana

I read Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay at the suggestion of Carl Krieger, my supervisor here at Virginia Tech. He gave me the audiobook because he knew I liked to listen to them on my drives to and from Illinois. I listened to it this past weekend when I went back to Illinois to attend my cousin's wedding. I will admit that fantasy is not typically my preferred genre (although I love George R. R. Martin's books). This book, however, was fairly interesting.

Tigana is set on The Palm, a fictitious peninsula reminiscent of medieval Italy. The story focuses on a group of freedom fighters and their quest to liberate the Palm from two sorcerer tyrants, who have divided the palm between them. This group of freedom fighters are mostly comprised of citizens from the state of Tigana, a region renamed to Lower Corte by the tyrant ruler Brandon. Brandon has cast a spell to make the name Tigana unable to be heard or memorized by anyone not from that region. As such, the group of freedom fighters struggle to make meaning of their lost cultural heritage. While a little long in some parts of the book, overall the story was entertaining and worth a listen on a 20+ hour round trip.

Tigana

No comments:

Post a Comment