Monday, July 16, 2012

A Study in Sherlock: Stories Inspired by the Holmes Canon

Having recently watched Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and the BBC's Sherlock Seasons 1 and 2 (which is a brilliant television show), I developed a renewed interest in the Great Detective. As such, I ordered A Study in Sherlock: Stories Inspired by the Holmes Canon, edited by Laurie R. King and Leslie S. Klinger, from Amazon. The book had received a fair number of positive reviews and I thought it might merit a read.

Now, I have a read the entire Sherlock Holmes canon by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, as well as a number of short stories and pastiches, so I would say I am a considerable fan of the Great Detective. I am also a fan of the recent adaptions of Holmes, such as the aforementioned movie and TV series, not to mention  House M.D. and the soon-to-air  Elementary. However, as a whole, I was rather disappointed in this collection. Allegedly, the editors had collected these works for today's best mystery and suspense writers, indeed most of their biographies boasted awards they had won. However, I was not taken in by very many of the stories. To be fair, a few captured my attention (and imagination) and caused me to continue reading. But, most of them did not full capture the spirit of the Holmes stories. Some had Holmes as a character, while others merely mentioned his name at some point in the story.

A Study in Sherlock: Stories Inspired by the Holmes Canon

No comments:

Post a Comment