Thursday, August 29, 2013

State of the Union

I picked up Brad Thor's State of the Union in the bargain section of Barnes & Noble. I was intrigued by the cover of the book, which depicted a double headed eagle on some form of crest. It looked to somehow combine Masonic imagery with that of the American government. I did not read the description on the back, but as I enjoy political action/suspense novels, I purchased it without much other thought.

It took me a few months to get to it on my queue, but I finally found time to read the novel. Now that I am in my doctoral studies, I am aware that my time for pleasure reading will be significantly diminished. However, a colleague from Virginia Tech, who is a part-time doctoral student, advised me that finding time to occasionally read for pleasure is a gift to myself. As such, I thought that this would be a fun and accessible pleasure read.

I great enjoyed this story. I do not believe I have read any other novels by Brad Thor, and I was not aware that this was the third book in a series, but I found it easy to quickly become interested in the narrative. This story follows Agent Scot Harvath as he works to quickly stop a terrorist plot that threatens to severely cripple the United States as a player on the global scene. Harvath travels all over the globe in his efforts to do so. The book is full of action and adventure. I found it to be an enjoyable, and consequently quick, read.

State of the Union

No comments:

Post a Comment