Sunday, August 18, 2013

Satan is Real: The Ballad of the Louvin Brothers

I'm not sure where I first heard about Satan is Real: The Ballad of the Louvin Brothers by Charlie Louvin with Benjamin Whitmer. It was likely while looking at other music (auto)biographies on Amazon. However, I know I had recently been listening to some Louvin Brothers on Pandora, so thought it would be a nice compliment to the music. And, as those who have previously read this blog will know, I am a fan of biographies about music or artists.

I found Satan is Real to be a rather interesting read. It is arranged mostly chronologically as Charlie Louvin recounts how the Louvin Brothers got their start. He recounts interesting stories of growing up on their parents' cotton farm, learning how to sing from his mother and at church, and sneaking out to see Roy Acuff. The narrative continues and provides detailed stories of the brothers' music careers. There are also interesting stories about Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Elvis, and Hank Williams. I found this to be one of the more fun and interesting autobiographies I have read lately.

Satan is Real: The Ballad of the Louvin Brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment