Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Prophet

I picked up The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran because it consistently popped up on "must-read" lists next to another of my favorite books, The Alchemist  by Paulo Coelho. The Prophet seemed to have rave reviews and often was also mentioned near books related to the Middle East. So, I bought the book on Amazon and then put it on my pile of books that are in the queue. The book caught my eye the other day and I decided to read it.

The Prophet is an incredibly short book and a rather quick read, but is nonetheless very deep. I would consider it to be a secular gospel. It is full of short lessons related to the wisdom of life. One of my favorites is on the topic of love and reads,"Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself." The book is full of this incredibly beautiful prose providing these deeps lessons, all loosely wrapped around the story of a prophet's farewell speech before departing a city. It is poignant and beautiful. 
 
The Prophet

No comments:

Post a Comment