Monday, April 22, 2013

Silverfin

I don't recall exactly how I heard of Silverfin by Charlie Higson. I know that it was somehow related to James Bond, but whether it was on Amazon or Wikipedia, I am uncertain. Regardless, I was intrigued about the Young Bond Series and decided to order the book. I am a big Bond fan and do enjoy reading juvenile fiction from time to time, so I thought it might be a fun read.

That's almost exactly how I would describe the book: fun. It didn't have the deepest of plots, nor the most developed characters. It wasn't the most well-written book I have ever read, and it was rather far from the worst. It was just purely fun.

The novel finds young James Bond starting his first year at Eton. The novel mentions that he is a thirteen year old schoolboy, so he is certainly a far cry from the dashing spy we know from Ian Fleming's novels and the 007 film franchise. However, elements of the character are present. Through the book, and presumably the rest of the series, one is able to discern traits that will develop into the Bond with which we are all familiar.

The story deals somewhat with young Bond finding his place among his peers at Eton. However, most of the adventure takes place in Scotland, his father's home country. James is visiting his aunt and uncle on Easter break and get involved in a web of intrigue that leads to several exciting adventures. The villain's plot deals with science gone-awry and is not too far from something that might have existed in the Roger Moore-era films.

All in all, the book was a fun adventure with a new take on a familiar character. If one is willing to read juvenile fiction, it might be worth a read. If one is looking for stories similar to those of Fleming, I would avoid this book and series. Silverfin

No comments:

Post a Comment