Tuesday, May 7, 2013

My Word is My Bond: A Memoir

I picked up My Word is My Bond: A Memoir by Sir Roger Moore from the online bargain book bin at Barnes & Noble. I've always been a fan of the James Bond franchise and it looked like it might be interesting. Admittedly, I've never been a huge fan of Roger Moore films, as I have found them to be rather campy. I tend to prefer the Sean Connery films and the newer Daniel Craig movies. However, I thought that this may be an interesting book.

I'm glad I picked the book up. It turned out to be a rather fun and interesting read. Moore is a conversational story-teller. He is good at spinning a great story and making it somehow relatable. The book provides some incredibly interest stories about Moore's childhood and rise through stage acting. He then recounts his early film and television career, which was actually rather robust. I, for instance, had no idea that he starred in the televisions series The Saint and Maverick. Moore proceeds to tell about his experiences as the world's most famous secret agent. Finally, he tells about his involvement with UNICEF, which started because Audrey Hepburn asked him to join. Throughout all of these stories, Moore share tales about his fellow stories, some of which can be a bit risque. He shares stories about practical jokes he played while on set and misadventures that happened while on location. It was a fun read.

I would imagine that anyone who is a fan of the Bond franchise would enjoy this book. It would also be enjoyable to anyone interested in the golden age of film.

My Word is My Bond: A Memoir

No comments:

Post a Comment