Friday, January 18, 2013

Crazy Heart

I saw the film adaptation of Crazy Heart a couple of years ago, long before I read the book. I think I watched it with my folks the weekend I graduated from my master's program at UGA. I remember liking the film, starring Jeff Bridges and being a fan of the soundtrack. It was a good story and I liked its focus on country music. The soundtrack popped up on my iTunes a couple of weeks ago and I decided I wanted to read the book.

 Crazy Heart by Thomas Cobb is the story of aging country music star Bad Blake. Bad is the epitome of a has-been. He tours the American Southwest in his van, playing gigs in bars and bowling alleys, eating road food and living in cheap motels. He's a hard-drinking, hard-living working musician in his late fifties. The novel centers around Bad as he deal with his mortality, contemplates his career, and tries to build and save several relationships. In some ways, the novel provide more insight into Bad's character than does the movie, and yet the novel also misses some of the charm the film provided through its music. In the end, Bad is a lovable loser who just can't seem to tame his crazy heart.

Crazy Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment