Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Once A Runner

As a amateur runner (some might even say a wannanbe runner), I have been aware of the nover Once A Runner by John L. Parker, Jr. for a few years. I have tried to track it down for a number of years, but it was a rare release and copies could run upwards of $100. So, I was happy to see that the book was rereleased. I know that many of my running friends who have read it have raved about it and Runner's World practically worships the book. So, I was excited to read it.

I will say, the book did not disappoint.

The story centers around Quenton Cassidy, a collegiate miler at a Florida institution. He is a fan of running the 1600 during track season and essentially despises cross country season. The book is full of witty banter between runners as they log training miles. The story really captures the playful spirit of undergraduate athletes living, training, sweating, studying, and playing together. The story features the trials and tribulations of being an undergraduate and is full of lovable characters.

However, it is definitely also a story about running. I found the book to be so inspirational. It's given me new energy in my own runs. It's an entertaining and inspirational book.

Once A Runner

1 comment:

  1. Parker's ability to capture the physical essence of running is uncanny. I remember reading this book during breakfast after having just finished my long run of the week. I wanted to put the book down and head out the door for another run...

    ReplyDelete