Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Loved Dog: The Playful, Nonaggressive Way to Teach Your Dog Good Behavior

I just started reading this book today, after owning it for about four or five years. My mother gave it to me several years ago because she knew I wanted to get a dog. However, I put off reading the book until I actually had a dog. Now that I have Sally, it seemed the appropriate time to start reading the book. So, while I was home for winter break, I dug it out of my boxes of books in the basement and brought it back to Blacksburg.

I just started reading it this morning and have actually only read about a page and half, but I am already impressed. The author, Tamar Geller, makes a comparison between bringing a new dog into the home and visiting another country that has different cultural norms. It was a really powerful analogy that highlighted the different expectations between the dog and the owner and the language barrier that can intensify the problem.

Based on this simple page and a half introduction, I am looking forward to seeing how Geller further explains the playful, nonaggressive way to teach good behavior. Hopefully some of these strategies will work with Sally, although she is already a good dog to begin with.

The Loved Dog: The Playful, Nonaggressive Way to Teach Your Dog Good Behavior

No comments:

Post a Comment